St Mary's Church
Sunday's at St Mary's, Southery
About St Mary's, Southery
St. Mary’s has an active, independent and friendly congregation, willing to take part in leading services and generous with time and money. For example, during the Covid lockdowns displays were arranged in the church porch, visible from the road, providing a focus for walkers on their daily exercise. Another recent innovation is our monthly Hymns and Tea. This has been a successful venture, attracting people, both regular worshippers and others who do not come to Sunday Services. As a congregation, we are all getting older, but we do care for St. Mary’s, keeping it in good order. The last Quinquennial 2020 said the church was in a good state of repair. The churchyard is closed and cared for by the Borough Council. Our organ has recently been renovated, but we do not have a resident organist. The Standing Committee, comprising the Wardens and Treasurer, and the PCC meet regularly, as necessary. To date, Parish Share has been paid in full. We put articles in The Village Voice, support the local food bank and send shoeboxes to Eastern Europe.
In the future, we intend to continue with our community involvement, build on our relationship with the school, care for our beautiful church and increase our congregation. Our Victorian church has a highly decorated chancel, designed by the Rev. E. Geldart in the Arts and Craft style. The Rev. A. E. Julius, somehow, raised the funds for this new, bold Gothic church in a poor fenland village in 1858, every generation has added its footprint. We have added a Millennium, stained glass window, a community area, a kitchen and a toilet in the tower. We are also actively rising to the challenge of managing the ruins of the present church’s predecessor.